Sunday, February 18, 2007

New Neighbors


Okay, I wasn't really surprised yesterday morning, when I saw the rental truck sitting in the driveway next door. I knew Old Lady K-----'s house had finally sold after almost 11 months on the market; I knew the jig was up on my carefree days of letting the dog do her business over on their lawn instead of ours.

Even when our quiet little street became lined with cars by 10 AM, I thought: "Wow, these new people sure have lots of helpful friends"...and indeed, one of them even waved to me as he rolled two kegs through the snow and right into the front door.

Like Gladys Kravitz ever with an eye out the window, I watched as the naugahyde sofa & loveseat were taken off the truck, along with the "blonde wood" bedroom furniture, and the super-sized TV set. Two burley looking guys carrying a washing machine around back slipped and tipped it precariously, losing their footing in the deep snow (and in turn, the washing machine) with a loud reverberating whomp. 24 hours later, it still sits there, white on white. Is there a Maytag Repairman in da house?

But it wasn't until this morning when I went out for my newspaper that I actually got to meet them. The wife had a coat thrown over her pajamas, but the husband was completely shirtless, they were both loading junk back into the moving truck in the driveway. I guess he noticed me standing there kind of incredulous, I mean, it wasn't like he dashed out for a second in 15 degree weather; he was out there working! They immediately stopped what they were doing and trudged through the snow to where I was standing in the street, shook my hand all friendly-like and we made introductions. There was pleasant small talk while I tried not to stare at his nipples, and I asked if they had any children. The wife grinned and said no. "No kids, just the 2 dobermans is all."

Gulp.

I'm trying to keep an open mind, really. Just because I can watch what their watching on TV right from the street doesn't mean anything, just because we've always let our little 12 pound mutt wander freely in the backyard and woods doesn't necessarily mean I'm going to find her severed head served up on my front doormat, and just because there's all that loud raucous laughter - it only means they know how to have fun, right?

1 comment:

Keifus said...

Sounds like you waited about 5 minutes too long to sell your place.

But you may be jumping to conclusions. No cars on blocks as of yet, right. And I'll add that they were decent enough to introduce themselves does say something...

K